Sunday 30 January 2022

A Reading Pep Talk for Teachers

On Friday at 11am, I was standing in front of our staffroom looking out over our entire teaching staff and wondering why I suggested that I talk about our library and reading.  It was a situation of my own making and my nerves were causing me to question my decisions.  However, I soldiered on, and got through my twenty minute talk without any major social embarrassment.  Now that it is over I do think it was worth doing, and I'm grateful that management gave me the opportunity.  It did take a while to make slides, but at least that meant for some of the time attention was directed on something other than me!  I thought I would share my slides so if you are in a similar situation at some point you can borrow some or all of them and reduce your preparation time.

I spent the first ten minutes going over the changes that we have made to the library over the holidays.  Information about that is here.  I haven't included those slides because they're very school-specific.

The second part of the talk was on why reading for pleasure and reading aloud are awesome and why some of them need to do more of it!  I mentioned that the two latest staff members to get promoted to DP, one at our school and one nearby, were both REALLY huge readers of children's books, so that was obviously good for their careers!

Our DP and I are interested in the idea of developing our own Reading Spine so I introduced that.  I hope to be able to meet up with individual teams during the year to discuss this more with them.  

I made sure to add that I meant the last slide FIGURATIVELY :)


No comments:

Post a Comment